Foreigners who want to buy a golden visa in Spain can address our team of lawyers in Spain and find out complete information about the requirements of such a program. As the main condition, an investment of EUR 500,000 in the Spanish real estate field is necessary at the time of applying for a golden visa in this country. A sale or a rental contract should represent the starting point for those looking to relocate to Spain with the help of the golden visa/citizenship by investment program which entered into force in 2013.
Our golden visa specialists are at your service with complete information about the requirements of this program in Spain. You can also rely on us if you want to obtain golden passports in another country.
Table of Contents
The Spain golden visa requirements
The Golden Visa Scheme is a program that has been developed by many countries around the world. In Spain, it has been enabled in 2013 and targets non-EU citizens seeking to make a significant contribution to the Spanish economy under the form of investment. The main requirement applicable to all candidates is to be at least 18 years old at the time the dossier is submitted with the Spanish authorities.
There are several investment options an applicant can choose from, however, each of them comes with various Spain golden visa requirements.
If you want to buy a golden visa, our agents are at your service for guidance in preparing the necessary documents. We also invite you to read our infographic on this subject:
Investment options for buying a golden visa in Spain
Non-EU citizens seeking to relocate to Spain based on a golden visa program have several options to choose from in terms of investments. These are:
- Real estate purchase, where the value of the property must be at least 500,000 euros;
- capital investment by depositing 1 million euros in a Spanish bank account;
- capital investment of 1 million euros by purchasing shares in one or more Spanish companies;
- capital investment of at least 2 million euros under the form of Treasury bonds purchases.
For those interested in entrepreneurship options, the following are available:
- starting a business or engaging in an entrepreneurial project of general interest;
- investment in education and research and development projects;
- intra-company transfers are also available for those interested in buying a golden visa in Spain;
- experts and highly qualified professionals can also apply for golden visas in Spain.
The Spanish Golden Visa Scheme offers some of the largest numbers of options to those interested in acquiring economic citizenship in Europe.
If you are interested in relocating to other golden visa countries, our agents can help you apply for golden visas in countries like Italy, Portugal, and Malta.
What are the conditions for obtaining a golden visa for Spain?
The following requirements should be in the attention of foreign investors who have decided to relocate to Spain through investments and golden visa passports which are available in this country since 2013:
- an investment in the real estate sector grants the family residence in Spain;
- foreigners can jointly purchase real estate properties in Spain;
- a clear criminal record is necessary at the time of applying for a golden visa in Spain;
- medical insurance plus sufficient funds to sustain the living in Spain are also conditions for obtaining the golden visa.
We advise you to get in touch with our team of advisors in Spain and find out all the legal requirements for obtaining the golden visa for Spain.
Document requirements for applying for a golden visa in Spain
Even in the Spain golden visa requirements are different in terms of documents that need to be prepared for the type of investment option, there are some papers that must be filed by applicants no matter their choice. These are:
- the application form (there is a different form for each type of investment);
- two recent passport-size photos;
- a passport copy (minimum validity of 6 months is required when the application is filed);
- medical insurance is also required;
- a clear criminal record for the past 5 years is necessary;
- proof of payment of the visa fee;
- proof of self-sustenance before the residence permit is issued.
Given the fact that most golden visa countries allows applicants to move here with their family members, documents attesting to their identities (passports) and proof of financial means to support them must also be provided.
All documents must be filed with the immigration authorities which fall under the governance of the Spanish Ministry of Interior.
For more information on the Spain golden visa requirements, we invite you to get in touch with our local specialists.
Choosing an investment option under the golden visa in Spain
Foreign citizens have multiple options when it comes to applying for a golden visa in Spain. Among these, the one requiring the less amount of money is real estate purchase. Even so, starting a business is considered by many applicants, which is why it should also be taken into consideration.
Our visa specialists can offer detailed information on citizenship by investment countries of each type of investment and can help applicants decide on the best option for them.
The advantages of a golden visa in Spain
There are many benefits for foreign investors from non-EU and non-EEA countries who are interested in obtaining the golden visa for Spain. Among these, obtaining permanent residence for the family members is the most important one. Investors living in Spain for more than 183 will be subject to taxation only in this country. It is good to know that the owner of the golden visa plus the family members who have permanent residency in Spain can access public services, including education. Also, the golden visa/citizenship by investment allows investors to travel within the Schengen Zone without any restrictions.
FAQ on the golden visa in Spain
- How long does it take to obtain a golden visa in Spain?
- Must I live in Spain after obtaining the golden visa?
The processing time of the golden visa application takes between 1 and 3 months to complete.No, the Spanish golden visa scheme does not impose successful applicants to move here, however, they must come here at least once a year.
- Can I work in Spain if I move here based on a golden visa?
- What is the validity of the golden visa in Spain?
- Is Spanish citizenship automatically granted with the golden visa?
Yes, once the residence permit is issued, you can also work here. This is available for your spouse if accompanied by family members. The visa is issued for a period of 1 year initially and can be renewed for up to 5 years. No, you will first obtain permanent residence after 5 years of living here, while citizenship can be acquired after 10 years.
We kindly invite you to contact our team of lawyers in Spain and ask for details about citizenship by investment countries and in Spain.