Malta is one of the most appealing countries in the world when it comes to obtaining citizenship by investment. Relying on one of the most attractive taxation systems especially when it comes to foreign businesspersons, Malta catches the eye of many entrepreneurs every year, which is why the government has enabled the Citizenship by Investment or the Malta Individual Investor Program, as it is known.
If you want to buy a golden visa in a respected EU country, Malta is one of the greatest options for this purpose. Below, you can read about the conditions and advantages offered to foreign investors who want to obtain citizenship by investment in Malta. With vast experience in offering assistance in the golden visa program, our specialists can help you apply for citizenship by investment in Malta.
Table of Contents
How to enter the Malta Individual Investor Program
Those interested in acquiring a golden visa/citizenship by investment in Malta must comply with the Citizenship Act (Chapter 188 which was amended in 2013) and with the Legal Notice LN47 of 2014. It is also important to note that under the Individual Investor Program, only non-EU citizens can apply for Maltese citizenship by investment.
The conditions under which a foreigner can apply for citizenship by investment in Malta are:
- the candidate must pass a fit and proper test which implies a thorough verification from the authorities;
- the applicant must also live in Malta for one calendar year before enrolling in the program;
- the candidate must be in a good health condition in order to be accepted into the program;
- the applicant must make a significant financial contribution to the National Development and Social Fund which is non-refundable;
- apart from the contribution, the applicant must also make another investment in Malta.
Our lawyers in Malta can offer more information on the legal requirements related to obtaining golden passports in this country. If you want to move to Malta and obtain citizenship but are wondering about the cost, our golden visa agents can provide detailed information on this aspect.
Our advisors in other countries can help investors who want to relocate to citizenship by investment countries in Europe, such as Italy and Cyprus, but also the United States, for those considering another destination.
Financial requirements for obtaining Maltese citizenship by investments in 2022
The Malta Individual Investor Program was created for high net worth individuals who want to relocate to Malta which is why the amount of money to be invested is quite consistent. However, compared to other countries such as the United Kingdom where the only residency can be obtained, the Maltese program grants citizenship.
As mentioned earlier, there are several pecuniary investment requirements to be met, among which a contribution to the National Development and Social Fund, investments in government bonds and in real estate property.
The contribution to the National Development and Social Fund is as follows:
- the applicant must deposit 650,000 euros;
- for the spouse an additional 25,000 euros are required;
- for minor children, 25,000 euros/person is required;
- for adult children with a maximum age of 26, 50,000 euros/person is required;
- for parents and grandparents, 50,000 euros/person is required;
- for incapacitated adult children, 50,000 euros/person is required.
When it comes to the investment in real estate property, the applicant can buy or rent a property for a minimum period of 5 years. The minimum purchase price of the property is set at 350,000 euros, while the minimum rental price per year is 16,000 euros.
The last requirement for obtaining citizenship in Malta is investing at least 15,000 euros in government-approved financial instruments. These can take the form of bonds, stocks or debentures. The investment must be maintained for the same 5-year period.
You can also ask us about other citizenship by investment countries like Greece, Ireland, or Spain.
Conditions for obtaining citizenship by investment in Malta in 2022
There are several conditions to respect when seeking to move to Malta and buy golden passports. Among these, the investor must apply for a residence permit only if he or she has a clean criminal record, medical insurance and can prove that he or she can sustain the stay here for an indefinite time.
Moving to Malta through the golden visa program with the purpose of obtaining citizenship will imply a certain cost with the preparation of the documents and their submission with the immigration authorities here, which is why these fees must also be taken into consideration when applying for this program.
For information on the requirements associated with buying a golden visa in Malta, you can rely on our specialists.
Changes in the Malta citizenship by investment program
At the end of 2020, a new policy targeting the program related to a golden visa/citizenship by investment in Malta was enabled by the central authorities. The new scheme is called Maltese Exceptional Investor Naturalization and it provides for a quicker procedure related to obtaining Maltese citizenship.
Under the new program, qualifying foreign persons can relocate to Malta and buy citizenship much faster than before. It should also be noted that this is a new program, while the previous one remains in place.
The new Maltese citizenship by investment scheme is expected to be rolled out in 2022.
The investment options for the new program are three, as follows:
- a non-refundable investment of at least 650,000 euros or 750,000 euros,
- the purchase or rental of real estate with a minimum value of 700,000 euros, respectively 16,000 euros per year,
- a donation of 10,000 euros to a specific project.
When it comes to the first option, the amount of money to be invested depends on whether the applicant is interested in a 12 or 36-months residence permit. Also, this amount is required to the main applicant, however, dependents can also be brought along for 50,000 euros for each of them.
In the case of the second option – real estate investment – the minimum period for which the property must be maintained is 5 years.
In the case of the third option, the following projects qualify for those interested in moving to Malta to buy citizenship:
- a registered sports organization,
- a cultural or scientific organization,
- an animal shelter,
- an artistic organization, such as a museum,
- a non-governmental organization.
All of these must be approved by the Maltese Government and by the Malta Community Agency.
If you need information on how to relocate to Malta and buy citizenship, but also the cost, you can direct your questions to our local advisors. We can also advise on other golden visa countries.
It should be noted that the 2022 Maltese Exceptional Investor Naturalization scheme has a cap of 1,500 applications per year, out of which 400 are approved due to the strict conditions.
Requirements for the Maltese Exceptional Investor Naturalization program
Those who want to buy citizenship by investment in Malta through the Exceptional Investor Naturalization scheme will be subject to a thorough application procedure which implies:
- filing for a residence permit,
- filing the necessary documents for the eligibility test,
- obtaining Approval on Principal from the Community Malta Agency (CMA),
- applying for naturalization.
Once relocated here, the applicant will obtain a Maltese passport. We can also provide details on other golden visa countries.
The benefits of applying for citizenship by investment in Malta
The Maltese Individual Investor Program comes with many benefits, among which:
- it is one of the most appreciated citizenship by investment programs in Europe and in the world;
- a one-year residency is guaranteed for those who want to apply for Maltese citizenship by investment;
- it grants citizenship not only to the applicant but to other family members who can go up to grandparents compared to programs in other countries;
- it grants the right to freely move in the European Union without applying for other visas;
- once Maltese citizenship is obtained, the former candidate will obtain a series of tax advantages;
- in case the applicant purchased a property, the real estate can be sold tax-free.
Why move to Malta?
Those who want to move to Malta and obtain citizenship should know that the cost of the entire process is cheaper compared to other European destinations. Also, the 2022 Exceptional Investor Naturalization Scheme in Malta is one of the newest golden visa programs at the level of the entire European Union.
Malta does not have one, but several programs that can be accessed by those who want to relocate to Europe, and it is one of the most attractive countries in terms of taxation of foreign citizens. When seeking a country to immigrate to, this sunny insular state will not only provide a good quality of life but also some of the most beautiful sceneries on the Old Continent.
If you are interested in moving to Malta and you want to buy citizenship, our golden visa specialists here are at your service with information on all the programs available at the moment. Moreover, we can help you prepare the necessary documents you need to file in order to be on top of the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about this program or simply want to immigrate to Malta in 2022, you can ask our advisors.
If you want to buy a golden visa in Malta and need help, please contact us.