There are several ways through which foreign citizens can move to Antigua and Barbuda and obtain residency. The most common and simplest option is the citizenship by investment program, however, regular tax residency can also be obtained by living here for an established period of time.
No matter if you choose the Antigua residency program or decide to find employment and thus move here this way, you can find out your options from this article. Our golden visa specialists can help you enroll in the citizenship by investment program.
Table of Contents
Main options to obtain Antigua tax residency
Obtaining Antigua and Barbuda tax residency in 2023 implies becoming a tax resident of this country. This status can be achieved by:
- entering the golden visa/golden passport program;
- moving to Antigua and Barbuda by applying for an entry visa and then for a residence permit.
Both options lead to Antigua permanent residency and citizenship in 2023.
One of the main advantages of choosing Antigua and Barbuda is that certain nationalities do not need entry visas for coming to the country. Among them, there are several European and non-European countries. If you want to know if you need a visa to enter Antigua, you can address our golden visa agents before starting the immigration procedure.
Who can obtain tax residency in Antigua and Barbuda in 2023?
The following categories of people may be eligible for resident permits, as listed below:
- students who have been enrolled in an education form for one year;
- wealthy individuals or investors who have lived in Antigua and Barbuda for 2 years;
- people with 2-year work permits employed by the government, businesspeople, or investors;
- people who have been married for at least one year to Antigua and Barbuda citizens.
Out of these options, the quickest way to acquire Antigua residency is the 2023 golden visa program.
Considering there are also other citizenship by investment countries you can move to, you can obtain detailed information about the ones you’re interested in from our consultants.
Obtaining a visa before applying for residency in Antigua and Barbuda
Visas are not necessary for many nations’ nationals to enter Antigua and Barbuda. However, if you are not sure about your status, our agents can guide you. The entry visa is valid for a stay of no more than 6 months for vacation or business-related reasons. A valid passport, evidence of housing during your visit, a return ticket for leaving the country, and proof of your ability to support yourself financially during your stay are also required.
Instead of a tourist visa, you can apply for a multiple-entry visa if you need to go back and forth depending on your needs due to a job obligation or other circumstances. The conditions for this visa will remain the same, but its validity can be for more than 12 months. You must have a specific reason for applying for this type of visa because it can only be granted under clear conditions.
Our agents specialize in golden visa passports, which is why we recommend this pathway if want to relocate to Antigua and Barbuda, as it comes with simpler formalities in certain cases. Also, you are not conditioned to live here for more than a few days every year.
How to obtain residency in Antigua and Barbuda the usual way
If you consider you do not meet the 2023 Antigua residency program requirements, you can choose the ordinary way as a means of relocation. For this, you need to complete the following steps:
- apply for an entry or multiple entry visa (depending on your reason);
- find employment or start a business in Antigua can help you relocate here;
- live in the country for at least 4 years and qualify for permanent residency in Antigua.
Temporary Antigua tax residency can also be acquired based on 3-year residence permit.
With respect to the residency program in Antigua and Barbuda, its main requirements imply:
- maintaining the permanent resident status after obtaining it;
- even if one is not required to live here, the person must spend at least 30 days per year in Antigua;
- the minimum income of the residence permit holder must be 100,000 USD per year;
- the beneficiary will pay a flat tax per year in quantum of 20,000 USD.
We remind foreign citizens that in countries like this golden visa/citizenship by investment schemes are the easiest pathway to relocation. Our agents in Antigua and Barbuda can help you enroll in this program.
If you are interested in acquiring tax residency in Antigua and Barbuda, our advisors can explain the main benefits you will obtain.
The residency program in Antigua
Citizenship by investment in Antigua is available for all persons who can meet one of the following financial requirements:
- a 100,000 USD contribution to the National Development Fund;
- a 150,000 USD donation to the University of the West Indies;
- real estate purchase with a minimum value of 200,000 USD;
- Antigua business acquisition for 1.5 million USD.
No matter your choice, our local specialists can help you acquire an Antigua passport.
Requirements to obtain permanent residency in Antigua in 2023
Obtaining Antigua and Barbuda tax residency is possible the usual way, meaning that you can live here for the required period of time until you qualify for permanent resident status.
You can obtain a residence permit that comes with a tax exemption after living outside of Antigua and Barbuda for at least 4 years. However, during this period, you are required to pay due taxes. Here are the main documents to draft in this sense:
- the application form and proof of payment of the required fees;
- a police certificate stating there has been no criminal activity in the past 6 months;
- a health certificate;
- a letter from the Statutory Boards stating necessary taxes have been paid during the residency period;
- a copy of your passport;
- copies of birth and marriage certificates.
This type of residence permit has a validity of 3 years, unless specified otherwise.
Rights obtained after becoming a resident of Antigua and Barbuda
A person who was granted a resident permit in Antigua is entitled to:
- to be eligible for most social benefits afforded to Antiguan citizens, such as health insurance;
- to live, work and study in Antigua;
- to petition for Antiguan citizenship after 7 years of legitimately residing here.
Resident permit holders are required to pay taxes and abide by all Antigua and Barbuda regulations.
If you want to move to Antigua and Barbuda and acquire tax residency, you can rely on our local representatives. We recommend the citizenship by investment scheme which implies less processing time (the residence permit can be issued in 1 to 3 months) and additional benefits, such as the possibility of becoming a homeowner here.
Advantages of Antigua and Barbuda tax residency
The Caribbean islands of Antigua and Barbuda are currently undergoing change as a result of significant foreign investment in recent years. Since English is the primary language used in Antigua, there are no linguistic obstacles there. The principles and procedures of English common law are incorporated into the judicial system, which is also based on the English legal system.
For many expats, Antigua and Barbuda is a desirable relocation location. For stays of up to 6 months, no visa is necessary for nationals of numerous states, including the UK, the USA, Canada, the Commonwealth, and all EU members.
Obtaining Antigua permanent residency comes with several benefits in terms of taxation after the residence permit holder registers with the Inland Revenue Department. Among these:
- no income tax on income obtained in or outside Antigua and Barbuda;
- no capital gains tax on assets held in Antigua and Barbuda or in other countries;
- no inheritance or wealth taxes.
Applying for residency in Antigua and Barbuda is not complicated and our agents can help you prepare and file the necessary documents. Contact us for information and assistance in moving here.