Portugal is one of Europe’s sunniest countries and this is one of the important reasons for foreign citizens from Europe and the rest of the world to move here. However, there is more to Portugal than its weather, as this is also one of the golden visa countries on the Old Continent where residency and citizenship by investment can be obtained.
There are many benefits that come with a golden visa in Portugal and below, our immigration specialists present the main advantages of relocating here based on this scheme.
Table of Contents
Why apply for a golden visa in Portugal?
In order to understand how you can benefit from Portugal’s Golden Visa Program, you should first know the conditions for obtaining it. These are:
- a minimum investment of 250,000 euros in arts, culture or other national value heritage projects;
- a minimum investment of 350,000 euros if the applicants wants to relocate here by means of real estate in an underdeveloped area;
- a minimum investment of 500,000 euros in real estate in any other part of the country;
- capital investment in a company of at least 500,000 euros in an SME (small or medium-sized enterprise);
- capital transfer of at least 1,000, 000 euros in a bank account in Portugal.
One of the main benefits of applying for a golden visa in Portugal is, therefore, the multiple investment options.
If you wish to buy a golden visa and cannot decide on one of the citizenship by investment countries to move to, let our specialists help you by presenting you with various options.
The advantages of obtaining a Portuguese golden visa
After choosing the investment option, here is what you will benefit from after taking part and successfully applying for the Golden Visa Program in Portugal:
- you can obtain permanent residency or citizenship after 5 years, depending on your wish;
- it is flexible in terms of residency requirements, as you don’t need to live when you seek to become a permanent resident or citizen of Portugal;
- you can move to Portugal with your family who can also obtain residency here;
- you will automatically become an EU resident and move freely in all Schengen area;
- you can retire, work, or own a business based on your investment option.
There are many advantages linked to enrolling in the golden visa/citizenship by investment and our agents can offer more information on them. Additionally, we can help you with various immigration services for obtaining golden passports.
Quick access to permanent residency and citizenship in Portugal in 2024
Portugal is one of the few European countries to allow non-EU citizens to apply for permanent residency and even for citizenship by investment after 5 years. There are no differences between the two options as you only need to visit the country and spend between 7 and 14 days during the years the investment must be maintained. If you decide to apply for citizenship by investment, you need to relocate here and pass a Portuguese language test in order to demonstrate your connections to this country.
We can also assist those who want to apply for a golden visa in Spain, Portugal’s neighboring country. Similar services are available in other citizenship by investment countries.
Extended family residency in Portugal
Another benefit of the Golden Visa Scheme in Portugal is that upon relocation, you can bring your spouse and children who can become residents of this country. They can study in Portugal or even in other EU countries. Also, you and your family do not need to renounce your old citizenship when obtaining the Portuguese passport, as this country allows double citizenship.
With respect to family members, they too need to visit the country every year when seeking to settle here.
Our golden visa agents can provide all the details related to the documents that need to be prepared when applying for golden passports.
Portugal is a member of the European Union which means an golden visa/citizenship by investment for this country grants automatic access to EU residency. This way, as a golden visa holder you will be able to move freely through Europe, conduct business activities, and even study in one of the other member states. Additionally, Portugal is part of the Schengen area, therefore you can also travel to other similar countries.
The Portuguese Golden Visa is also available to applicants who are US citizens. The real estate investment option of the program is particularly intriguing because foreign-owned real estate offers many benefits to tax residents of the United States. With the Golden Visa program, US business owners may decide to extend their operations to Portugal. The country is a desirable place to relocate because of the tax incentives available for companies.
Choose the activities you want to perform
Portugal offers a multitude of options under the golden visa program, among which you can run your own business here or retire if you want to buy a property. In terms of business, Portugal is very flexible, as non-EU investors who have businesses in other EU countries can simply relocate them without being required to start new ones.
Why choose to apply for a golden visa in Portugal in 2024
Citizens of non-EU countries who want to buy golden visas in Portugal at the level of 2024 will benefit from one of the most friendly programs developed in Europe. Apart from the fact that this is of the sunniest countries on the continent, there are plenty of activities one can complete here.
Considering the requirements of the 2024 golden visa in Portugal have not changed, with the help of our specialists, you will be able to relocate here quite fast.
Third-country citizens can apply for a temporary residence permit with a visa waiver to conduct business inside the country under the regulations governing the issuance of a Residence Permit for Investment. The following benefits are available to Golden Visa recipients:
- waiver of residence visa required to enter Portugal;
- living and working in Portugal, provided they remain there for a minimum of 7 days during the first year and a minimum of 14 days during the following years;
- travel within the Schengen Area without a visa;
- reunion of the family;
- requesting permanent residency (in accordance with Act number 23/2007 of July 4, which is the Aliens Act);
- securing Portuguese citizenship through naturalization.
If you want to take advantage of one of the fastest ways of immigrating to Europe, the golden visa in Portugal is one of the best options in 2024.
If you have decided that Portugal is the right country for you and your family and want to apply for a golden visa program, do not hesitate to contact us for assistance in starting the application procedure. We can also advise on other golden visa countries.