The golden visa program enabled by countries all over the world gives high net worth individuals who want to relocate to one of these states the possibility of investing a significant amount of money after which they will be entitled to residency or citizenship.
One of these countries is the UK where foreign citizens can obtain golden passports. At the beginning of 2019, the UK government replaced the Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa with the Tier 1 Innovator Visa and Start Up Visa.
Below, our specialists in the golden visa program explain the new requirements of the investor visa in the UK. You can also rely on us for assistance in obtaining a golden visa/citizenship by investment.
Table of Contents
Two categories of investor visas in UK
Compared to the old investor visa program for the UK, the new one provides for two distinct categories of investors who must submit a business plan as an additional requirement. Overall, the new investor visa in the UK is more attractive because:
- the Start Up Visa targets young and first-time investors who can relocate to the UK with their families;
- the first two years of the Start Up Visa program will be dedicated to the development of the business;
- the Start Up Investor Visa program does not imply the investment of any amount of money during the first two years;
- after these two years, the foreign investor will qualify for the Innovator Visa in the UK;
- those who want to apply directly for an Innovator Visa will need at least 50,000 GBP.
If you want to buy a golden visa, our specialists can offer detailed information on other golden visa countries, among which the USA, Ireland, Malta, and Cyprus.
Who can apply for a UK investor visa?
The UK investor visa is available for foreign citizens living outside the EU and EEA areas. Also, the applicants must be at least 18 years old, must submit proof that they have the amount of money required as an investment and that the source of the money is a legitimate one.
Also, the applicant must deposit the funds in a bank account opened with a UK bank.
Our local consultants can offer more information on the requirements attached to golden passports.
Documents required to obtain a UK investor visa
The following documents need to be provided when applying for an investor visa in the UK:
- the passport which needs to be at least 6 months valid and must have a blank page for the visa;
- a document which indicates the medical examination results (in the case of applicants in countries where such an exam is required);
- a criminal record which must be issued by the authorities in a country where the applicant has lived for at least 12 months;
- evidence which proves that the applicant has the requested amount of money and their provenience;
- proof of opening the bank account with a UK bank (a bank reference letter must be obtained from that bank).
The applicant can a bank account only with a bank authorized by the UK Financial Conduct Authority.
In the case of those enrolling for the Innovator Visa program, drafting a business plan is also required.
Other aspects which can be considered and help candidates with their applications for the UK investor visa is that they can also use funds obtained from other family members such as spouses or partners, and that, based on their country of origin, other documents can be required by the UK immigration services.
Our agents can also offer information on the requirements related to obtaining citizenship by investment in the UK for those interested in golden visa countries.
Why apply for an investor visa in the UK?
The UK is one of the most welcoming countries in Europe when it comes to citizenship by investment countries. The UK investor visa comes with many advantages among which:
- they can bring family members when immigrating to the UK based on the investor visa;
- the applicants can live in the UK for 3 years together with their families and then can apply for residency;
- foreign citizens already living in the UK can convert their visas into UK investors visas;
- after 5 years of residing in the UK, the applicants can apply for citizenship in the UK.
During their stay in the UK, applicants can work or study.
It is important to note that those who want to obtain a UK investor visa must start the application procedure 3 months before moving here through a golden visa/citizenship by investment.
For complete information and assistance in moving to the UK based on an investor visa, please contact our local consultants. We can also with the application for citizenship by investment in other countries.